Make Adultery Illegal in all 50 States!

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Day 130: High Wire Act

Marriage is a high wire act. We walk a fine line as to what to say to and do with our spouses. Tip too much to one side and you end up hurting your spouse (and yourself).
 
So, what do we do when we feel unbalanced and unsure of what to say or do for fear of hurting those around us?
 
Sometimes we feel like jumping off. That's the easy way out because you end up dead at the bottom unless the safety net catches you.
 
When do you know when there's a safety net below you? What do you do if your safety net is your spouse? Should the trust and comfort be so high that we can walk the wire with our spouse as the safety net?
 
Is it a betrayal to have a friend as your safety net?
 
I walked the wire and chose a net other than my husband which now leads me to walk the line without a safety net.  Yes, sometimes I feel like jumping just to see what happens. Otherwise, I walk very slowly and carefully. Sometimes I'm very sloppy in the way I walk the line because maybe I'm tired or weak. Other days I feel so strong and confident and walk across without a wobble........but eventually I get tired.
 
How do we keep up the strength to always walk the line responsibily and carefully? It's not easy. There's always a chance you'll fall and might not have a safety net below you. Then you die or are greatly injured.
 
How do we come up with the courage to walk the wire again when we've already fallen and hurt ourselves and others? Isn't it safer to stay at the bottom...to stay "grounded"?
 
Or is it better to walk the wire and take your chances?
 
I don't have answers to any of these questions. I just know that everytime I feel like I am stable on that wire that there is SOMETHING that makes me wobble and afraid to fall.
 
Maybe we are supposed to walk the wire WITH our spouses. But then who is the safety net?
Are we supposed to meet our spouses in the middle of the wire? Or do we keep going and meet them on their end?
 
Are we supposed to be their safety net? Or should someone else? Or just leave it up to God?
 
The most important lesson is to at least TRY to walk the wire. Don't stand at the bottom and watch everyone else do it. And should you fall.......get back up and try again.
 

Revelation 2:4-5
But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment