Make Adultery Illegal in all 50 States!

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day 23: Act first.......feel later.

When I was in college, I learned a very difficult technique in a very simple way. I was an acting major and we were being taught The Stanislavski System. In order to show us what the method was about, my professor had us bang a shoe on the floor using our hands. We had to pound it over and over and over again UNTIL some kind of feeling or emotion followed. I wish I could remember what kind of emotion I had during that exercise. So many different reactions could come from it. One might start laughing from repetition, crying from frustration, or yelling from aggravation.
We all react in different ways to different circumstances. However, the lesson I take is this: Perform actions and the feelings will follow. This applies not only in acting but in life. Think about it. How do affairs get started? The affair partners are thinking of one another then they start performing actions to satisfy each others needs. Finally, they feel "in love" or that they're "soulmates". The high of these actions is temporary and unrealistic. It is not reality or permanent. How do people get back into their faith? They go to church, they pray, and they perform religious acts.
So, perform actions for God and your most closely guarded loved ones and you will experience beautiful emotion. Perform actions against God and your loved ones and you will cause and feel nothing but pain. So, think carefully before you act. Thoughts......actions........feelings........

Titus 1:16

They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good.


2 comments:

  1. I just found my way to your blog from a comment you left on Sarah Markely's blog. I love the above post. I've always believed (ever since i learned it in 12 step) that we often have to act first and the feelings will follow. Sometimes it's easy and the feelings are there at the beginning, but it was not like that for me many years ago when I needed to learn how to love my husband again. I'm praying for you as you start to walk this path. Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Rosie. It's a daily battle.

    ReplyDelete